Monday, December 22, 2008

My Christmas Gift to You

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!!

This year I plan on giving out my Buttermilk Syrup for Christmas....
However it needs to be refrigerated so I can not send it out to any one that is not local. I can only give it away to the ones I can see in person.
But I thought that as my christmas gift to those of you who are far away I would put my recipe on this blog and you can use it for your very own Christmas breakfast if you wish.

My family really loves this syrup and we do not buy the store bought maple syrup anymore.
We prefer this carmely goodness on our pancakes and waffles. It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare, from start to finish, and chances are you have everything on hand already.

Buttermilk Syrup Recipe

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/2 cup or 1 stick butter

2 tablespoons corn syrup

3/4 cup buttermilk (or 3/4 cup milk with 3 tbsp. vinegar added mix well let stand 2 min.)

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons vanilla

In a very large sauce pan or stock pot melt the butter add the sugar and corn syrup stir very well. Pour in the buttermilk and stir or whisk until combined add the baking soda and stir well, at this point the mixture will froth quite alot ( the reason for the large pot) just keep stirring over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour into a jar or something that you can serve it out of. You can use this immediately or make ahead and store in the fridge. Just microwave for 20 seconds and stir before serving.

I hope you all enjoy this syrup as much as we do. Let me know if you try it....

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM OUR HOUSE TO YOURS!!!!

1 comment:

Rhaina said...

I make a similar recipe and I've had trouble bottling it without the butter separating and hardening. You have obviously been making your recipe for many years. I was hoping you could share some tips with me